Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cuisinier

For me, high school was a surprisingly very meaningful and memorable period of life. College... well, college was a haze that was somehow full of fun experiences that eventually led to life-lessons -- a wonderful 4 years, for sure. Now, in my young adulthood, I have an unparalleled curiosity of life and newfound excitement for the things I want to learn so much about. Weddings and travel and history and promotions... you know, the celebrations and turning points in life. The little things. Well, my newest indulgence: cooking.

The fact that I can even manage to boil water is truly astonishing, especially since this time last year I literally did not even know how to make coffee. My New Years resolution was to learn to be a great cook so that by Christmas 2011 I could cook a lavish meal for friends and family. My plan is to make something new every single week in the kitchen. Not surprisingly, making a new years resolution to eat MORE delicious food is a lot easier to keep than the ones in years past where I wanted to avoid the calories. I have managed to keep the goal alive since January 1.

Super bowl was fun to cook for. For some, the dishes I made could be done before their age hit double digits. For me, learning to melt bakers chocolate (honestly, even KNOWING that bakers chocolate is different than hershey kisses) has been a victory. I was an incredibly active child and teenager, and when I got home from practice, games, clubs, parties, church, etc dinner was on the table. My mom was wonderful about that. But, while I could always clean up a kitchen like nobody's business (that was mine and my dad's job together, my mom and sister made the mess cooking) I had zero business even holding a spatula.

Thank God for my sweet boyfriend, my Bear.  He's been my guinea pig with all of this cooking. So far I have focused on appetizers and desserts and really just the familiarity with the kitchen. Bear's favorite so far has been the pimento cheese and Oreo truffles I made. This is a marathon, not sprint folks... SMALL STEPS.

Oreo truffles: (straight from the kraft website, I do not get too creative, yet! I drizzled white chocolate over mine)





Easy-OREO-Truffles-52162.jpg




what you need

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

1 pkg.  (1 lb. 2 oz.) OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 4-1/4 cups), divided
2 pkg. (8 squares each) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted
make it
MIX cream cheese and 3 cups cookie crumbs until well blended.
SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls. Dip in melted chocolate; place on waxed paper-covered baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cookie crumbs.
REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm. Store in tightly covered container in refrigerator.

No comments: